Connecting along the Journey of Breast Cancer

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Doctors, Nurses and all the Care Givers in my midst!

I have been reflecting alot on the people involved in my care over the past two months. It really is amazing how many are involved in your journey of cancer. I have been so incredibly amazed at the teams of people who have been in my life over this period of time.

First, it was the kind people of Eastern Radiology who brought the concern to me of a problem with my mammogram. Preparing for a surgical biopsy was done in a most caring way by the radiology staff. The response of the staff of the Surgical Center was exceptional in their response to my anxiety of being put to sleep for the first time. Dr. Habal did the biopsy and he was most calming as I entered the operating room even though I was only awake a few moments.

Next came my contact with Carolina Breast and Oncological Surgery. This was my follow up from the biopsy. Dr. Habal and his office staff are just wonderful! To receive word of my breast cancer at my first appointment was very traumatic! The concern and care of Dr. Habal and his staff was just unbelievable in hindsight. I was quite overwhelmed with the news. To deal with people and the shock of having cancer is a tough job. The staff of Carolina Breast have been absolutely so kind and positive with me each visit.

Dr. Habal is truly a fine surgeon with a heart for his patients. With each surgery, he greeted me in the operating room with a positive attitude and assurance that I would be fine. His prediction thankfully was correct. I do think his forthrightness with me each time and willingness to help me understand my diagnosis has been very helpful. I am grateful for his outstanding skill as a surgeon.

During my first surgery, I was most blessed to have Dr. Ferguson perform a female procedure as well. She has been my gynocologist for years and truly is a Doctor who is has great compassion for her patients and their care. What a team Dr. Habal and Dr. Ferguson were in getting me through two surgeries that day.

At each surgery... my biospy, mastectomy, entrimetrial oblation and my additional lymph node dissection, I was surrounded by exceptional staff who were involved in my operations. I was so fortunate to have two phenomenal anestisiologists from my church, St. Timothy's. Dr. Duncan, the anestisiologist and Valerie Foster, the nurse anestisist. They were right there to make sure I knew I would be taken care of by them. I called them my "St. Tim's angels". They were great even though I did not know alot of what happened. I congratulate them for putting me to sleep so well. Most of all...I commend them for waking me up so efficiently! She is the best! A fellow youth worker of many years too! Valerie was so kind to make sure I knew she would be with me the whole time during my operation. She has been wonderful following up with visits and meals after my operations. What great folks at St. Timothy's who are in the medical field.

There were other great staff in the operating room who cared for me. Those who cared for me in the recovery room and at the hospital overnight after my surgeries were superb as well. I really was so amazed at the commitment to care for patients from each of these professionals. Truly to have gone through these surgeries with the care I received brings much gratitude to my heart.

I have been through multiple scans to access the presence of cancer in my body over these past two months. Of course, I was lucky once again to be greeted by a scan technician, Jane, doing my heart scan who I had done youth ministry with in the past. She was so upbeat with me and encouraging. Once again, a angel in my midst! NOTE: My scans seem to be clear too....That is great news!

Now I have begun my patient relationship with my oncologist, Dr. White, at Physicians East. When I first met Dr. White, she entered the room with the warmest smile on her face and immediately put me at ease. She made a deep impression with me as she explained everything so well about my cancer and the treatments I would be undergoing with chemotherapy. It is so very complex what the treatment does to you both in the healing process as well as what risks one might encounter. I must say all of this is so overwhelming yet I feel I am in the hands of another exceptional Doctor commited to the care of their patient. She has been very positive and honest with me. I really feel she has my best interest in mind with my treatments. I feel very blessed to be under her care for the next 6 months of chemo.

The treatment room for chemotheraphy has a fine set of nurses who are very positive as well. Much to my surprise, I was greeted my first visit by a nurse, Leigh Vincent, who is a young adult whom I have shared in youth ministry in past years. Leigh is from St. Timothy's as well. Wow...to have another St. Tim's angel with me during my chemo treatments also is a gift. The nurse, Becky, who adminstered my first treatments gets the award for her upbeat nature and willingness to ask all my questions. She was a trooper as I asked about everything happening. She was very calming with me during my first experience of the unknown.

I have really realized how significant the medical world is in my journey of healing in my life currently. I truly believe God has been in the midst of each of these encounters. I am being surrounded by people who really care for their patients. For each of them, named and unnamed, I express my deepest thanks for you and what you are doing in my life and for my life! I say prayers of thanksgivings for each of you daily as you walk with me along the journey of breast cancer! THANK YOU!

Another huge angel in my life has been Mimi Quick, who is a nurse as well. Mimi has been there for all my surgeries, for my significant appointments with the Doctors and has stayed with me after my surgeries until I passed the test to be on my own in my recovery from each surgery. Thank you dear Mimi. Having a nurse oversee me has been beneficial. I have had some learning to do in taking care of myself and allowing myself to calm the spirit and allow the healing process to be in motion. What a blessing she has been to me! Thank you my friend.

Other care givers have been those who have brought meals to me (all very yummy)! I have had wonderful offerings from St. Timothy's folk, the diocesan staff, clergy, friends in town and out of town, my family and relatives, my college friends, my camp friends, my diocesan friends and my personal friends from times of the past and present.

During this time I have met some really wonderful people as well. Visiting Dad at Beverly Care has brought a dual sharing of care for my Father and for me. I have shared my journey with the staff of Beverly Health Care who have been very kind to me. They check in to see how I am doing each time I have been to see Dad.

The presence of all these CARING PEOPLE is so wonderful in my life. I have been humbled and so deeply touched.

For each of you...too many to name...I express my deepest thanks for all of you who have been walking along this journey with me! You are in my daily prayers with deep gratitude for your love and concern.