Connecting along the Journey of Breast Cancer

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Loving Friends....there are many! These are a few!


Photo 1: My St. Mary's College friends: Kathy Gourley, Goldsboro; and Nelle Keeley, Raleigh; spent part of a weekend to care for me after my 1st surgery. Kathy was my roommate after college in Raleigh and Nelle is another preacher's kid whose children, Patrick and Elliot are my Godchildren.

We had some good laughs and they truly made me know they were in this with me. They are friends of 30 years like my friend, Sue Smith, noted earlier in a posting. They have been true life long friends from my young adult years of college! They are the best!

Photo 2: Mimi and Craig Quick, Greenville - Mimi and Craig have been so dear to me helping me with many tasks at my house. Mimi, who is retired from the faculty of the School of Nursing at East Carolina, has been my resident nurse staying with me through both of my surgeries. She has been so helpful with her nursing skills and comforting during my times of emotional stretches with all that has been before me. Mimi is a rock for me to know that healing is a reality and something I am working towards each day! Thank you to Mimi for all she has done and for Craig who has so graciously shared his loving wife with me during my journey! Note: Mimi is a quiet spirit thus she has nicely balanced my extroversion and need to be always busy. She has been a great gatekeeper during my moments of needed rest for recovery!

Photo 2












Photo 3

Photo 3:
Richard and Vicki Peterson, with Vicki's Mother, Emmie Jenkins of Greenville. The three of them has offered so much to me. Richard has been so helpful overseeing my fall work activities in youth and young adult ministry! I am so grateful for his ministry in East Carolina. Vicki, a dear long time friend, helped organize my schedule of people assigned to staying with me after surgery. What a gift! Also, she has called forth the St. Timothy's, "Unseen Guest", ministry to bring me food during my recovery. Thanks sweet Vicki! Emmie, a rock for her family has extended the Motherly love to me as well with visits and meals in her home! She even provided a day of housekeeping to help me keep things in order which have been more challenging than usual. What a love she is to all! A great family, along with their children, young adults now... Erin, Mike and Chris!

Transportation and "Unseen Guest" (but seen) friends: Loving acts of kindness have been extended by more than I can name....it has just been incrediable! A few that have brought food and provided transportation for me are: Anne and Dan Daniel, Ellen Crawley, Anna Faye Campbell, Susan Holmes, Valerie Foster, Lisa Shaw, Jane Wynne, Stephanie Pihl, Bonnie Holton, Jimi Paderick, Jamie Roberson, Debbi and Jeff Hazelton, Cheryl Czapjliski.

Thanks for all the visits in the hospital, cards, emails, fruit and calls from so many! As a people person, I have appreciated each and everyone one of you in your extension of love and concern! Thank you for all your kind and generous acts of love. I have been so deeply touched and humbled by all your care.