Connecting along the Journey of Breast Cancer

Friday, October 20, 2006


Symphony of HOPE
Music from the Heart
in honor of victims
in celebration of survivors
in hope of cure
October 20th - Tonight was an evening that touched my heart! I had the priviledge of attending "The Symphony of Hope" offered by a community symphony and choirs of Oakmont Baptist Church and Covenant Methodist Church. I was invited by Mary and James Eason of Covenant Methodist Church and Mary's sister, Sue Smith, my St. Mary's College roommate of 30 years ago. James was part of the choir. (Mary and James Eason and Sue Smith above)
What an incrediable event to see so many gather who have been or are currently affected by cancer in their lives. The pieces chosen for the orchestra were simply heavenly as I closed my eyes and got in touch with my sensory side of hearing the beautiful notes of several songs which touched me at the depth of my being....my favorite being "Amazing Grace" of course. The violins, violas, cello, percussion, flutes, trumpets, etc. were magnificent.
A video tribute to those who have died from cancer, those who are survivors and those who are currently fighting cancer was shown with the orchestra playing. It was quite moving and yet startling to see how many are affected. I am in the last category of course and I want to be on the survivor list. That is what I am aiming for in my journey.
The second half of the program was a medley of wonderful praise songs which were very uplifting too! I especially enjoyed the spiritual "Soon and Very Soon" which is one I have sung many times with teenagers in my life. The last time I sang it was in an auditorium with 1500 teens from around the country at the Episcopal Youth Event in Berea, Kt. I must say it is a rocking song! I sang away but have to admit the crowd was more sedate than the 1500 teens. No surprise!

I was thrilled to see 3 of my friends from St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Greenville, in the orchestra. Jon Shaw, Leonna and Katie Love played violins and were wonderful as always. They are accomplished musicians indeed. It was a treat to connect with Jon as she was my babysitter when I was 6. My Father was Rector of Grace Church, Plymouth, with her family with her family. Of course, Jon was only a few years older than I. Over the years, I have had the joy of having Jon's children as campers at Camp Trinity with me. (Thanks Jon for being so kind as I shared my update....you are so sweet!)
To have shared in this evening truly touched my heart in a way that I needed. I am on the journey and needed to find solace in where I am on the journey. I am going to continue to take one day at a time and know that God is with me every moment holding me in his loving arms of comfort. Tonight there was comfort in the music! Thank you all who offered this symphony of hope to the community. Yes....I have HOPE I will be a survivor!
Thank you Sue, James and Mary for sharing this event with me! I am so blessed by my loving friends.