Connecting along the Journey of Breast Cancer

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Friends run deep for me!

November 8, 2006 - This afternoon I had a visit from my dear long time friend (20 years now!), Cookie Cantwell of Wilmington. Cookie and I have had so many adventures in youth ministry over these years in the diocese we really could write a book of all the fun escapades! Cookie is the Coordinator of Happening, our faith development program for Senior High Youth. She has been such a light for our young people within the diocese, provincially and nationally.

She brought energy to me today and allowed me to share my tears and hope for healing. She brought so many wishes from our young people which truly touches my heart! To know that this morning's bible study in Wilmington with her youth was about Jesus being alone in the garden without anyone by his side. Yet, as they reflected, he was with his Father who held him in his lowest hour. It was a reminder that I am not alone in this journey. The youth talked about how it must feel for me to be in this garden of cancer and yet I am not alone. I am surrounded by so many in prayer, prayers known to me and not known to me. For all I say thanks each day as I feel the blessings of those near and far from me.

Thanks Cookie for today and a time to reflect on how life has changed and is changing in this prayerful journey towards healing!

Yes, we caught up and begin thinking about future events when I will be well from this cancer. The time is now to deal with this illness but knowing that time ahead will bring new possibilities.