Connecting along the Journey of Breast Cancer

Saturday, February 24, 2007

My Dear Friend....Vicki Peterson

February 24, 2007 - Yesterday my computer was in a rest mode and random slides were popping up on my laptop. This picture of my dear friend, Vicki Peterson, popped up and made me smile. Tonight this picture, makes me smile but along with that smile, I carry sadness in my heart.

My dear friend, Vicki, died this afternoon. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor on November 20th, had surgery then chemotherapy and radiation over the past two months. She got pneumonia and has been in ICU over the past two weeks. Vicki fought hard but with her family by her side, she left us to be with our heavenly Father freed from the struggling she had been through over the past months.

Of course, through the sadness of all left behind, we struggle with loosing sweet Vicki but we know she is with our Lord. She was such a faithful and loving servant in her walk in life. She touched the lifes of so many people through her love for others. She was a wonderful wife, great daughter and sister, loving Mother to her children, friend to so many in her spiritual community and beyond. She made a difference to so many in her social work, therapy and advocacy for others. She was truly a gift to the world!

This picture is of the special time we shared this summer at Adventurers Camp at Camp Trinity with campers with developmental challenges. Vicki and I loved being a duo in our program time with the campers who we so dearly love. Seeing this picture spoke to me yesterday before Vicki died and today says so much as well. Her smile and her angel wings exemplified the wonderful person she was to all of us. Angels are my thing and tonight I know Vicki is among the cast of angels with our Lord and Savior.

I ask for your prayers for her family this night and in the time ahead. Pray for Richard, her loving husband; Erin, Mike and Chris, her wonderful children; Emmy her faithful Mother, Jenny, her dear sister and other family members Greg, Larry, Elizabeth and Alex. Bring peace and comfort to their hearts in the loss of loving Vicki.

Tonight, I also pray and feel gratitude for all who have offered care of Vicki: her family, her church community, friends from many facets of life and the medical community.

For Vicki, our dear friend, may you rest in peace this night and for evermore. Thank you for being the angel in many of our hearts. We love you and will miss you. Peace my dear friend!